The What and Why of Social Enterpise
This first chapter from The Canadian Social Enterprise Guide 2nd Edition describes:
- the growth of social enterprise in Canada;
- how social enterprise is contributing to healthy and sustainable
- our definition of “social enterprise” and related terms;
- answers to common questions about social enterprise;
- reasons why groups decide to start a social enterprise;
- benefits of starting a social enterprise;
- the range and types of non-profit social enterprises.
The Social Enterprise Guide was originally published in 2006 and was the first extensive and comprehensive published resource, tool kit, and collection of social enterprise stories in Canada. The revised 2nd Edition of the Guide reflects the learning of Enterprising Non-Profits program and its 10 years of supporting the development and success of social enterprise through technical assistance and resource development.